She said yes! ...What now?


So you have decided to put a ring on it - congratulations! 

After you are done with celebrations and sharing your happy moment with your close ones, you will probably start wondering what is next.

What you need to go through with the formalities

Let's start with the basic and most important things. Documents.
If you are a native in Czech Republic or have citizenship:

  • Birth certificate (original or a certified copy)
  • ID or a passport
  • Extracts from the Information System of Inhabitant Records on personal status and the permanent residence abroad or equivalent documents issued by the state in in which the fiancé(e) permanently resides (if issued by the foreign state).
  • + If you are divorced or widowed: Court final judgement of divorce of a previous marriage or a death certificate of a deceased spouse

If you are a foreigner in Czech Republic or don't have a citizenship:

  • ID
  • Birth certificate
  • Certificate of nationality (can be confirmed by a travel document)
  • Certificate of legal competence to enter into marriage (not older than 6 months)
  • Certificate of personal status and residence (if issued by the foreign country and not a part of the certificate of legal competence to enter into marriage)
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the Czech Republic issued by the Foreign Police of the CR (not earlier than 7 working days before the marriage).
    Not needed, if you are a citizen of the European Union, a citizen of a contracting state to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, or their family member.
  • + if you are divorced or widowed: Death certificate of a deceased spouse or court final judgement of divorce of a previous marriage

Pheeew, managed to get all above? Don't forget that each document has its "expiry" date and some of them have to be issued just before the big day.

Whom to invite?

Of course your loved ones, witnesses, then a photographer... but be sure to have a translator as well, if you do not understand Czech language properly.

What to prepare?

You will need to decide if you want to use one surname (as it is customary in Czech Republic) and if so, what form it will have.How much does it cost?

  • Both are Czech citizens: no fee
  • None have Czech citizenship: 3000 CZK
  • Only one has the citizenship: 2000 CZK

Church or civil ceremony?

You can have both! And both have their perks.
The civil ceremony will be easier to put together. You just need to book an appointment in the civil registry office and bring all paperwork... and show up on your day D of course.If the chappel is what you dream of, then you can definitely go for it as well.
Just be sure that you talk to the church officiator first to meet any extra requirements they might have for the religious ceremony if you choose the church.
Also, after the religious ceremony, you will have to visit the civil registry office within 3 working days and present the certificate you obtained during your ceremony.

What if you choose a special place?

You can have a wedding at any "dignified" place. For that though, you will need to contact the proper civil registry office and discuss your options with them (you either have to go there together or have the power of attorney issued). This option is paid (approx 1 000 CZK).

Things that could complicate your day (and some days after)

After ither civil or church ceremony, you will need to pay a visit to the Department for Asylum and Migration Policy (OAMP) of the Ministry of the Interior of the CR within 3 working days in order to report the change of your personal status and the change of your surname. EU citizens and their family members report changes in marital status and name within 15 working days.

If you change your surname after the wedding, you must apply for a new passport at your home country embassy (then submit the new passport at the OAMP). The embassy might require that you first provide an official translation of your marriage certificate.

Have in mind that according to the czech law, the spouses share their assets since the day of the wedding. Financial obligations of one are obligations of both spouses. Debts are also part of the shared assets. In case of divorce, debts are divided between the spouses, even if one of the souses was not aware of the debts.
If you are worried about this part of the marriage, there are some legal options to treat this situation (limitation of the extent of shared assets or prenuptial agreement).

Where will you live the sweet married life?

Ok, everything ready. But what now? It is up to you where you will build your nest. The Czech law recognizes these options (as explained by CIC):

  • If both have a long-term stay - you will retain a long term stay. You can change the purpose of the stay after the wedding (long-term stay with the purpose of a family reunification).
  • If you have a long-term stay and your spouse has a permanent residence or International protection - you can apply to the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy for a long-term stay with the purpose of family reunification with a foreigner who has a permanent residence. When you have this type of stay, you do not need a work permit, but you can only be part enrolled in the public health insurance system if you work in a company which has its seat in the Czech Republic.
  • You have a long term stay and your spouse is a Czech or EU citizen - you can apply for a temporary stay for a family member of a Czech/EU citizen. With this status you can apply for permanent residence in 2 years (if you had a long-term residency for at least a year prior to the wedding, you can apply one year after the wedding).
  • You do not have any type of residence and your spouse is a Czech/EU citizen - you can stay in the Czech Republic for up to 90 days without visa. Apply in the Department of Asylum and Migration Policy for a temporary stay of a family member of the Czech/EU citizen.
  • You do not have any type of residence and your spouse has long-term stay or permanent residency - you are eligible for a long-term stay status, but you have to apply at the Czech Embassy in your country of origin. Your application will be processed within 270 days.

Feeling overwhelmed? Don't lose your head! It sure is a lot, so if you are not sure how to proceed, be sure to contact the proper institution (embassy, OAMP or your local Civil Registry office).
And remember - when in doubt, you can contact us, too 😉

More details: