• This is a type of a long-term residence which enables foreigners to stay in the Schengen area for more than 3 months on the condition that they are employed at a work position requiring HIGH QUALIFICATION, i.e. completed higher education or higher professional education, if the education lasted at least 3 years; this condition sets it apart from the employee card.
  • If the applicant is interested in application for a blue card, compare to en employee card there is a restriction about minimum wage which must be a salary of 1.5 times the average gross annual wage. For the period from 1st May 2021 to 30th April 2022 the average gross annual wage is 427 332 CZK. The amount of the gross monthly salary of a foreigner in this period must therefore be at least 53,416.50 CZK. The average wage is always updated by the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs
  • The Blue card is issued for the period of 2 years or less - depends on how long the working time is provided
  • An application for a blue card is filed at the relevant Czech Embassy abroad or at the local office of the Ministry of Interior with the exception of the following cases:
  • 1. You are staying on the territory of the Czech Republic with a blue card and the application is filed within 1 month of the date of entry.

    2. You are already staying on the territory of the Czech Republic on the basis of a long-term visa or long-term residence permit.

    • The deadline for processing or refusal of a blue card is 90 days from the date of filing the application
    • A blue card is issued with the period of validity of 3 months longer than the time for which the employment contract was concluded, but the maximum duration is 2 years. 

The blue card is issued for a specific position with a specific employer. If the employee wants to change the employer, eventually a position with the same employer in the first 2 years of validity of the blue card, must first ask the Ministry of the interior of the Czech republic to agree to this change. After 2 years it is necessary to report the change at he Ministry of the interior of the Czech republic within the given deadlines. 


  • Work contract for employment requiring a high level of qualification concluded for at least one year. This contract must include the negotiated gross monthly or annual wage that corresponds to at least 1.5 times the average gross annual salary
  • Accommodation confirmation 
  • Extract from the criminal record from the state of which the foreigner is a citizen, as well as states in which the foreigner has stayed in the past 3 years for a period longer than 6 months. This document is not required for foreigners under 15 years of age
  • Other...

Important note:

All documents issued by the authorities of non-EU countries must also be subject to a higher degree of authentication, such as an apostille or superlegalization. Please note that these documents must not be older than 180 days, with the exception of travel documents, photographs and registry office documents

Extension of the validity of a blue card

    The validity of a blue card can be repeatedly extended for a maximum of 2 years. You can apply for an extension of the validity period at the earliest 120 days before the expiry date and at the latest on the last day of validity of the blue card.

    The documents necessary for the application for an extension of the blue card are the same as for the application for a blue card, with the difference that there is no need to submit the documents that the Ministry of the Interior already has in its files.


  • Personal assistance
  • Preparation, provision of documents
  • Arranging appointments at offices
  • Accepting the documents and checking the application

Request for a non-binding consultation

Fill in all the necessary information and we will get back to you as soon as possible